Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Lightwind test of 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing

Created by CoreAS > 9 months ago, 5 Oct 2019
CoreAS
869 posts
5 Oct 2019 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic test in super light wind conditions of the 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing this week, footage was 2 evenings back to back. Its a monster at 2371 cm2 surface area.

I was short on time, and was using the 42 rear wing in position B on the fuselage, so still more tweaking to be done with using the 48 rear wing in position C for maximum light wind lift.

To foil in 5-10 mph* with a 125 liter board, 5.8 RAF sail, and I weigh 205 lbs is next level.

*does require full body pumping technique and gust timing, its not a static start

CAN17
575 posts
5 Oct 2019 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Nice flights. It didn't look too bad for back pressure considering you/most people like C on the 84 . I know Wyatt Miller says it needs a bit too much back foot for wizard boards but that did not look like the case for you. Looking forward to your reveiw with position C on the 99

CoreAS
869 posts
5 Oct 2019 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..
Nice flights. It didn't look too bad for back pressure considering you/most people like C on the 84 . I know Wyatt Miller says it needs a bit too much back foot for wizard boards but that did not look like the case for you. Looking forward to your reveiw with position C on the 99

Think I might have bit more of a lead foot than Wyatt! He's classic surfer physique, I'm more of classic Dad bod ;)

our forecast looks dismal this weekend, Monday might be the soonest before I can try C and the 48 rear.

sl55
128 posts
5 Oct 2019 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting that Wyatt insisted that I-99 would work only on Levitator or Freestyle with tracks. Looks like you proved him wrong. I just got mine and comparing it to I-84 it is hard to say that the center of lift is that much different.

I-84 has a chord of 304 mm vs. I-99,s 296 mm

I drilled an extra hole in the fuse to move the wing/fuse forward 50 mm more from position "C". I have not tested it yet because I had surgery on my face yesterday, and the wind was over 20 kn anyway.
Just tempted to set my record in lightwindedness

CoreAS
869 posts
5 Oct 2019 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..
Interesting that Wyatt insisted that I-99 would work only on Levitator or Freestyle with tracks. Looks like you proved him wrong. I just got mine and comparing it to I-84 it is hard to say that the center of lift is that much different.

I drilled an extra hole in the fuse to move the wing/fuse forward 50 mm more from position "C". I have not tested it yet because I had surgery on my face yesterday, and the wind was over 20 kn anyway.

It is a bit strange why we have all heard different "why it won't work scenarios"?

The first day I was on the 84/42 B set up and flying, as the sun went down, I bolted on the 99 and took off immediately in 10/11mph. It just kept chugging along with a bit of pumping.

Second day, I would've rigged a 7.8 but decided to test it again on a 5.8 again in around 10mph or less and had 2 hours of foiling.

Easy as!

CoreAS
869 posts
5 Oct 2019 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..

SL55

Did you use a hand drill, or a proper drill press to make position "D" hole, that's a clean piece of engineering.

sl55
128 posts
5 Oct 2019 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

I used a drill press with 8 mm drill bit and 16 mm countersink bit. Easier and cheaper than to buy a Levitator or install a track system.

dejavu
808 posts
9 Oct 2019 4:24AM
Thumbs Up

I have a Wizard 125 and am tempted to purchase the 99 and use it in the "B" or "C " position. I'll bet it will work with most boards in the "C" position. I'm 45 pounds lighter than CorAS so if "B" position works for him it shouldn't be a problem for me. The question will be -- in just how low a wind speed will I be able to foil?

excav8ter
536 posts
9 Oct 2019 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

I used the i99 on my Fanatic Falcon LW a few weeks back. "C" position.... 8.0 Ezzy Cheetah for power. Wind was 8-12mph max. I thought it worked quite well, but I'm new at this.
I was able to get some long flights in the light breeze. I was more amazed at how well it stayed on foil in the lulls.

CoreAS
869 posts
9 Oct 2019 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
I have a Wizard 125 and am tempted to purchase the 99 and use it in the "B" or "C " position. I'll bet it will work with most boards in the "C" position. I'm 45 pounds lighter than CorAS so if "B" position works for him it shouldn't be a problem for me. The question will be -- in just how low a wind speed will I be able to foil?

Monday I tested their 99 in C with the 48 rear and it was incredible. Wind was a different direction so we had a small swell to pump up on but either B or C will work. at my weight, I do have to put a lot of energy into the pumping but I'm confident with something like a 6.4 or 7.0 with the 99 wing I could foil up in 8-9mph and glide in 6-7mph (depending on wind direction and water conditions)
the 99 wing allows you to pump the board pretty aggressively as well.

SA_AL
268 posts
10 Oct 2019 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

CoreAS said..

Monday I tested their 99 in C with the 48 rear and it was incredible. Wind was a different direction so we had a small swell to pump up on but either B or C will work. at my weight, I do have to put a lot of energy into the pumping but I'm confident with something like a 6.4 or 7.0 with the 99 wing I could foil up in 8-9mph and glide in 6-7mph (depending on wind direction and water conditions)

When do you feel i99 is too much to handle in terms of wind conditions?

lakeeffect
107 posts
10 Oct 2019 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

CoreAs and sl55,

Thank you for your responses in the comment sections of your Youtube videos. I am using the I84 foil in the C position, the 48cm stabilizer and the long 78cm fuse per your recommendations, on a Wizard 150. I have had a great deal of success in my first six sessions. Thank you again, Brant

PS: And in the spring I might try the I99 foil.

CoreAS
869 posts
10 Oct 2019 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SALKAN said..

CoreAS said..

When do you feel i99 is too much to handle in terms of wind conditions?

Much like the i84 wing, you can foil the i99 in pretty strong winds, they both will "limit out" at their top speed.

My foiling mate was out in 20+ on his last night and he was doing pretty good but found gybing a bit difficult, think we both concur that the 99 sweet spot is 6-15mph.

I have been wing surfing and use the i99 wing for that also. Wing surfing is pretty slow speeds anyways, I just need the bigger wing to pump up, then cruise from there

thedoor
2191 posts
11 Oct 2019 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lakeeffect said..
CoreAs and sl55,

Thank you for your responses in the comment sections of your Youtube videos. I am using the I84 foil in the C position, the 48cm stabilizer and the long 78cm fuse per your recommendations, on a Wizard 150. I have had a great deal of success in my first six sessions. Thank you again, Brant

Its funny I could not make the 48cm stabilizer work with the long fuselage. (48 stabilizer positioned underneath the fuselage). Maybe I need to give it another go, it was quite a while ago.

lakeeffect
107 posts
11 Oct 2019 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedoor said..

lakeeffect said..
CoreAs and sl55,

Its funny I could not make the 48cm stabilizer work with the long fuselage. (48 stabilizer positioned underneath the fuselage). Maybe I need to give it another go, it was quite a while ago.

What the 48cm stabilizer with the I84 foil and the 78cm long fuse brought to me was a noticeable increase in pitch stability versus the 42cm stabilizer. With increased pitch stability there was more time up on the foil. With more time up on the foil, the learning curve is accelerated. And an accelerated learning curve gives greater satisfaction. Hope this helps!

thedoor
2191 posts
12 Oct 2019 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lakeeffect said..

thedoor said..

lakeeffect said..
CoreAs and sl55,

What the 48cm stabilizer with the I84 foil and the 78cm long fuse brought to me was a noticeable increase in pitch stability versus the 42cm stabilizer. With increased pitch stability there was more time up on the foil. With more time up on the foil, the learning curve is accelerated. And an accelerated learning curve gives greater satisfaction. Hope this helps!

Yeah the pitch stability with the short fuse made gybing near impossible, so I ditched that and went back to long fuse small stabilizer. Maybe I will try the 48cm stabilizer on the long fuse with 84 again.

sl55
128 posts
21 Oct 2019 5:53AM
Thumbs Up

Last Saturday wind was crappy SE side-offshore and I decided it was time to test Infinity 99. After few nights below freezing the water got really cold and I took a short 71 cm mast off of my wife's board. It saves me an extra 100 meters of wading. The wing was in modified position "D" as I reported earlier. Because of the short mast and the wing so much forward, behavior was different. The board was more squirrelly than 84 on a long mast. I could not pump the board pushing on the back foot as much, and the tail was drifting wide if I sheeted in too energetically. But I think I gained a knot or two in the bottom end. The balance was less back footed than 84 in position "C". Would be interesting to test 99 on a long mast in C and D position. Next season I will. Crashed at the end loosing the foil. My fault - used wrong bolts between the Tuttle head and the mast.

lakeeffect
107 posts
21 Oct 2019 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Wow good save on the foil and I loved the self rescue where you placed the foil mast in the rear foot straps and used the wing as a fin! Did you use the 42cm stabilizer as a matter of convenience or was there some thinking behind it use?

sl55
128 posts
21 Oct 2019 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lakeeffect said..
Did you use the 42cm stabilizer as a matter of convenience or was there some thinking behind it use?

I never thought of using anything else. You mean 48? I thought they are for short fuselage for SUP.

Chicken straps are handy
Moral of the story: use proper bolts. The short ones came in a set I bought from SS thinking it is a full set. They sell the long ones separately. Turns out the short ones are for position "A".

Windbot
471 posts
21 Oct 2019 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Wow nice save getting to that foil! I too think putting the mast through the rear straps was clever.

SA_AL
268 posts
21 Oct 2019 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..

lakeeffect said..
Did you use the 42cm stabilizer as a matter of convenience or was there some thinking behind it use?

I never thought of using anything else. You mean 48? I thought they are for short fuselage for SUP.

48 cm stabilizer is used with the long fuselage and it should be put in in wings are downward.

lakeeffect
107 posts
21 Oct 2019 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SALKAN said..

sl55 said..

lakeeffect said..

48 cm stabilizer is used with the long fuselage and it should be put in in wings are downward.

I originally bought the H2 wing with the blue 42 cm stabilizer. The H2 wing was about 1000cm sq and the 42 cm stab about 300 cm sq. When I upgraded to the I 84 wing with about 2000 cm sq. I first used the 42cm stab, then moved to the 48cm stab with about 500 cm sq. It improved the pitch stability. This was all done on a long 78cm fuse.

sl55
128 posts
21 Oct 2019 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

thedoor and lakeeffect,
can you guys measure the angle of attack of both stabs in relation to the fuse ?

Thedoor,
what exactly do you mean when you say it didn't work for you? What was the problem? Too much drag?

lakeeffect
107 posts
22 Oct 2019 4:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sl55 said..

thedoor and lakeeffect,
can you guys measure the angle of attack of both stabs in relation to the fuse ?

Thedoor,
what exactly do you mean when you say it didn't work for you? What was the problem? Too much drag?

The angle of incidence at the root roughly measured in O degrees. as you move toward the tips the angle goes slightly negative. This idea comes from airplane design. When a airplane wing stalls you want it to stall at the root first, not the tip. This keeps things in control.

The above is a U-2 spy plane. Notice the high incidence angle at the root and the lower angle at the tip. Model airplane guys call this wash out. They also do this on propellers.

CoreAS
869 posts
22 Oct 2019 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Good save SL55, think you're the 3rd or 4th person I've read that accidently used the short bolts. My foiling bud luckily had a foil leash the very first time he went out and it saved him losing the whole lot.

On the Wizard 125

I have foiled the 99 with the 42 rear in B, works very well (long fuse).

I have foiled the 99 with the 48 rear in C, works very well (long fuse) a hair quicker to foil up (but not as slippery in the turns as the 42 rear).

I have foiled the 84 with 48 in B of the short fuselage and it did not work well at all, couldn't gybe with it, way to pitchy.

I am currently using the 99/48 in B on the short fuse for wing surfing only. The short fuse allows me to pump the board and get my weight right over the front wing.

thedoor
2191 posts
22 Oct 2019 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Thedoor,

Yeah I couldn't get it too lift. So I moved to a small fuse and it worked fine but gybing was super hard. So I went back to the long fuse and 42 cm stab. Next light wind day I will try the 84 and 48 and long fuse.

lakeeffect
107 posts
23 Oct 2019 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

sl55, I didn't answer your question fully. The 48 rear stabilizer had about a 2 degree negative angle of incidence with reference to the fuse. Please view these number with skepticism. They were done with a wooden straight edge, a ruler and a little trigonometry.

sl55
128 posts
23 Oct 2019 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Paducah
2451 posts
23 Oct 2019 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

Reminder that a lot of cell phones have the capability to be a level with the proper app. I have a cheapo Lenovo Android that has the capability. Just don't drop your cell phone on your board. They accelerate quite a bit in the 85-90cm until they get to the board invariably corner first.

lakeeffect
107 posts
23 Oct 2019 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

I like the measurement video. The I84 foil has about a 300mm chord thus a 6 inch caliper won't do it. They have a 12 in caliper on ebay for 26.99 and the Wixey angle gauge is 26.99 so it's reasonable to buy the measuring equipment. Or I could go to a good restaurant and order two entrees!

dejavu
808 posts
14 Nov 2019 3:52AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a video of Wyatt Miller explaining when to use the 48 cm. stabilizer rather than the 42 cm. one. Apparently the 48 is used for pumping the board (downwind sup or with a wind wing).

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Lightwind test of 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing" started by CoreAS