Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Goya Boards 2022/2023

Created by Hanstholm > 9 months ago, 1 Nov 2021
Hanstholm
55 posts
1 Nov 2021 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hey everyone,

see below the Goya wave range designs for 2022/2023. Looking incredible!

CUSTOM 4 in sizes 54l, 60l, 68l, 74l, 79l, 84l, 89l, 94l, 104l 114l
Changes: wider outline, thicker rails in front, thinner rails in back, slot boxes instead of US+MT boxes

ONE 3 in sizes 77l, 85l, 95l, 105l, 115l

NITRO 3 in sizes 89l, 98l, 106l

CUSTOM 3 in sizes 76l, 82l, 86l, 92l, 99l

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Why slotboxes instead of MT, the latter is a better system and lighter, better made and more durable, it seems to me with one bolt instead of two screws. Infact these were the reasons given by Quatro/Goya for preferring them in years past. Simple, set and forget, no second guessing the position. Quatro/Goya have enough movement in rear US box fins to allow for adjustments as required. Seems a retrograde step to go for slotbox on sides in lieu of MT unless I am missing something. Good US box retained for rear fins.

philn
725 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good. Any specs available?

philn
725 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
Why slotboxes instead of MT, the latter is a better system and lighter, better made and more durable, it seems to me with one bolt instead of two screws. Infact these were the reasons given by Quatro/Goya for preferring them in years past. Seems a retrograde step unless I am missing something.

My guess is they decided to standardize with the rest of the industry

Hanstholm
55 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..
Looks good. Any specs available?

Not yet. When I got them I update the pics above.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..

RichardG said..
Why slotboxes instead of MT, the latter is a better system and lighter, better made and more durable, it seems to me with one bolt instead of two screws. Infact these were the reasons given by Quatro/Goya for preferring them in years past. Seems a retrograde step unless I am missing something.

My guess is they decided to standardize with the rest of the industry

Possibly but MT retained for One 3 FSW model. I wonder if Quatro have same approach. Query Pyramid for 2022 ?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

I disagree as their US rears were short and only had about 8mm adjustment.

Anyway top marks for adding a 54L quad!!!!!!!

Hanstholm
55 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Same for Quatro. Cube with 4x Slot, Pyramid with 1x US + 2x Slot. Power with 1xPB + 2x MT.

philn
725 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hanstholm said..
Same for Quatro. Cube with 4x Slot, Pyramid with 1x US + 2x Slot. Power with 1xPB + 2x MT.

Any pictures of the Quatro boards?

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

How durable are slot boxes ? Any issues with last years of experience since introduced ? Why is FSW given different treatments ? ie specifically MT ?

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Slots were crap from some manufacturers a few years ago - but now we have the decent ones with the screw thru threaded G10 blocks, all the stripping problems have gone. EG the Severne / Flikka ones are just brilliant.

I'm sure some are still placcy crap.... but if Goya and Quatro are using slot now I'd be pretty sure they've gone for the good ones.

philn
725 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like they've been testing slot boxes for a long time. The pictures of the 2020/21 Quatro Pyramid ridden by Levi on their Pyramid page has slot boxes.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
1 Nov 2021 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
Slots were crap from some manufacturers a few years ago - but now we have the decent ones with the screw thru threaded G10 blocks, all the stripping problems have gone. EG the Severne / Flikka ones are just brilliant.

I'm sure some are still placcy crap.... but if Goya and Quatro are using slot now I'd be pretty sure they've gone for the good ones.

Yes sounds like good advice. Thanks.

leto
263 posts
2 Nov 2021 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
Why slotboxes instead of MT

Probably they need to sell some more fins.. lol Slots on Pro rider's boards.. hmm maybe because slots are easier to slap in to test stuff - no need to drill through the deck plus all 4 fins same system..
I love how Starboard was switching from US to slots and back and force.
Sort of like in this image.. Think of clients as board designers ... and us (users) who need to have two sets of fins.. lol

Grantmac
1953 posts
2 Nov 2021 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

I've seen a leaking Quatro MT and replacement is a hell of a lot easier with a Slot.
I'm betting the installed weights are similar even if the bare boxes aren't.

sprayblaze
140 posts
2 Nov 2021 2:04AM
Thumbs Up

I think slot box is heavier than MT overall. The thing I don't like about slots is that everytime you put your fins you have to abuse them with those screws... and hitting sand bottom(not to mention pebbles, tiny stones...etc) and off you go- no fins. By far the mini us box is the most reliable and so is MT. But yes on the other hand instillation and replacement is easier with slot. Lets hope that at Goya/Quatro have sorted out these things .

FreakDrew
12 posts
2 Nov 2021 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Any info on the 2022 Goya Bolt? I heard that it was going to have some changes(?)

Drew

KDog
300 posts
2 Nov 2021 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

At least if you loose your board and it's getting dark you won't have a problem finding these!

ursblank
39 posts
2 Nov 2021 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

You can finde the Goya and Quatro specs in this French forum:
u-ride.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=188562#p188562

Hanstholm
55 posts
2 Nov 2021 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hanstholm said..
Hey everyone,

see below the Goya wave range designs for 2022/2023. Looking incredible!

CUSTOM 4 in sizes 54l, 60l, 68l, 74l, 79l, 84l, 89l, 94l, 104l 114l
Changes: wider outline, thicker rails in front, thinner rails in back, slot boxes instead of US+MT boxes

ONE 3 in sizes 77l, 85l, 95l, 105l, 115l

NITRO 3 in sizes 89l, 98l, 106l

CUSTOM 3 in sizes 76l, 82l, 86l, 92l, 99l

Thank you Urs

Tanel
50 posts
2 Nov 2021 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Nice boards! Slot vs US from my experience... Hitting a rock with a slot box fin you break the box, with US one hardly even need to replace the fin but just fix it.
Has there been any development in slot boxes lately that prevents breaking the box?

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
2 Nov 2021 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

The finsets on the Goya Custom 4 quads appear to be quoted in error. They can't possibly have the same size MFC QS RTM 200 fins for 54 litres up to 114 litres. This error is easily seen when you compare to the Quatro Cube fins:

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
2 Nov 2021 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tanel said..
Nice boards! Slot vs US from my experience... Hitting a rock with a slot box fin you break the box, with US one hardly even need to replace the fin but just fix it.

Which slots? the moulded plastic ones yes, weak. God, some of them split from just doing up the screws!!!! The carbon into PVC foam ones - no.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
2 Nov 2021 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Grantmac said..
I've seen a leaking Quatro MT and replacement is a hell of a lot easier with a Slot.

Only as the factory doesn't install them properly.
If the "pipe" meets the deck of course it won't bond well as its plastic.
However if a block of PVC say 150mm x 50mm is installed all the way thru to the deck and then the box is installed, any separation of pipe from deck laminate won't matter as the PVC foam does not absorb moisture.

That's why I use SUP shaft for my PB installs (not plastic), and fill the cavity with PU pour foam and so on......

Perhaps that is the reason for the change - easier install of a slot, and less chance of top leakage, plus adjustable
I don't see MT lasting much longer if Goya and Quatro stop it.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
2 Nov 2021 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sprayblaze said..
I think slot box is heavier than MT overall. The thing I don't like about slots is that everytime you put your fins you have to abuse them with those screws... and hitting sand bottom(not to mention pebbles, tiny stones...etc) and off you go- no fins. By far the mini us box is the most reliable and so is MT. But yes on the other hand instillation and replacement is easier with slot. Lets hope that at Goya/Quatro have sorted out these things .

I've never understood that arguement - cosmetic damage to fins bases, who cares. If they have the rebated sides the screws engage and they don't pull out easily at all.

As to weight, properly installed MT is a bit heavier than a proper carbon slotbox.
But poorly installed MT (the reality of a factory board as I said above) is heavier than a cheap plastic slotbox. Not much in it.....
I choose slot due to adjustable, ability to use butchered US box fins and light if built properly.
But using MT boxes in my new build as I have a sh!tload of them lol

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
3 Nov 2021 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Grantmac said..

Only as the factory doesn't install them properly.
If the "pipe" meets the deck of course it won't bond well as its plastic.
However if a block of PVC say 150mm x 50mm is installed all the way thru to the deck and then the box is installed, any separation of pipe from deck laminate won't matter as the PVC foam does not absorb moisture.

That's why I use SUP shaft for my PB installs (not plastic), and fill the cavity with PU pour foam and so on......

Perhaps that is the reason for the change - easier install of a slot, and less chance of top leakage, plus adjustable
I don't see MT lasting much longer if Goya and Quatro stop it.

MFC make everything to order so the existence of MT today will provide ongoing orders for fins assuming the boards still exist and need fins. Also Moz_Customs are using MT. It is also noted that MT remains on the Freewave boards so MT remains in the product line. I personally believe MT is better but I might be wrong. It would be interesting to hear KT and Francisco's views on MT.

Grantmac
1953 posts
4 Nov 2021 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

MT is easier to experiment with toe. You get what you get for slotbox.

sprayblaze
140 posts
4 Nov 2021 1:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

sprayblaze said..

I've never understood that arguement - cosmetic damage to fins bases, who cares. If they have the rebated sides the screws engage and they don't pull out easily at all.

As to weight, properly installed MT is a bit heavier than a proper carbon slotbox.
But poorly installed MT (the reality of a factory board as I said above) is heavier than a cheap plastic slotbox. Not much in it.....
I choose slot due to adjustable, ability to use butchered US box fins and light if built properly.
But using MT boxes in my new build as I have a sh!tload of them lol

For custom Quatros maybe carbon slot boxes, but for production Goyas I doubt it (this means more weight imho). Btw can MT front fins be installed directly in slot boxes (they have rebated sides) ? Thanks.

FreakDrew
12 posts
4 Nov 2021 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

So the new Goya boards have gone blazing bright neon colors and the new Quatro boards are now white...?

I thought the red, yellow and blue Quatros were some of the best looking production boards ever.

Drew

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
4 Nov 2021 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
philn said..

Hanstholm said..

Any pictures of the Quatro boards?

+1 Quatro 2022/2023 pics anyone???

Silberpfeil
35 posts
4 Nov 2021 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FreakDrew said..
So the new Goya boards have gone blazing bright neon colors and the new Quatro boards are now white...?

I thought the red, yellow and blue Quatros were some of the best looking production boards ever.

Drew

yeah the Quatros were freaking sexy. I hpoe they keep the styleand just change the colours e.g. darker green for the cube and purple for the power...or sth like that

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Goya Boards 2022/2023" started by Hanstholm