Forums > Wing Foiling General

First time with my Naish HA1240 foil.. vid.

Created by DavidJohn > 9 months ago, 9 Sep 2021
DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
9 Sep 2021 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Mentone was pretty nice this afternoon.

jonysan
75 posts
10 Sep 2021 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, Nice Video! I'm currently using a Naish 1650 foil set with an S26 85L board , S26 5.3 wing.. I weigh 75K.
Set up works well up to 23/24 knots, then gets a bit of a handful!!
A very good Naish wingfoiler suggested the HA 1240 foil, good idea? And also I see you are using the new Matador wing 3m, would you recommend a 4m or 3m to go with my 5.3m
Thanks in advance.
Jonysan.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
10 Sep 2021 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jonysan.. Thanks.. and the HA1240 foil would be a great foil to go with your 1650.. At first you will find it's like someone pulling the rug out from under you with the sudden extra speed and acceleration but you will get used to it..

As far as a new Matador wing to go with your 5.3m I'd recommend getting the 3m because the 4m will have similar power to your 5.3 and the 5m will have more power.. You should also concider the 3.6m normal WingSurfer wing because it's also such a great wing and although it might not have the initial grunt of the Matador is has a better wind range and handles gusts better..

jonysan
75 posts
13 Sep 2021 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi David, Thank you for your advice, I think for the moment I will stick with the Jet 1650 foil, but get a Matador wing 5m to replace my 5.3 S26 Wing, my reasoning for this is to get more "low end grunt" to get on foil easier in the 13 to 15 knot range. I also plan to get either a Matador 3m or a 3.6 S26 Wing, depending on the top end range of the Matador 5m. I think Naish will be selling a lot of Matadors!

spikefoil
24 posts
13 Sep 2021 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

Thanks DJ, such a mellow video! Interested to know roughly how windy that session was?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
21 Sep 2021 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
spikefoil said..

DavidJohn said..

Thanks DJ, such a mellow video! Interested to know roughly how windy that session was?

The wind was very gusty and one minute almost nothing and then gusts in the 20-25 knot range.

I stared with my 3m wing (orange) and found this set up great when the gusts were there but in the lulls the combination of a small wing and small foil was difficult so rather than change to a bigger foil (best option) I changed to my bigger 5m wing (red) seen towards the end of the vid.. This helped me to keep foiling in the lulls but the bigger wing was a handful in the gusts.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
21 Sep 2021 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jonysan said..
Hi David, Thank you for your advice, I think for the moment I will stick with the Jet 1650 foil, but get a Matador wing 5m to replace my 5.3 S26 Wing, my reasoning for this is to get more "low end grunt" to get on foil easier in the 13 to 15 knot range. I also plan to get either a Matador 3m or a 3.6 S26 Wing, depending on the top end range of the Matador 5m. I think Naish will be selling a lot of Matadors!

One thing to remember if you were to change your 5.3m WingSurfer wing to the 5m Matador wing..

I can foil comfortably for more than four hours with my 5.3 but my arms are toast after just an hour with added power of the Matador if your just going out and back on flat water..

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
21 Sep 2021 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Nice video David. Still get jealous seeing you get up in light winds in your other vids.
So would you say a 4 metre Matador has tons more power than the original V1 4 Meter Wingsurfer? As I'm looking for a wing that fits between my V1 4meter Naish & my 6 Meter X2 Cabrinah.
Oh! & what's that BS sign saying no kitesurfing? It's looks to be a fairly open area to me.
I'm a bit concerned those fun police might come to my local areas & do the same.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
21 Sep 2021 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

I think that sign was for the construction going on with the building of a new Life Saving Club at Mentone.. I first thought it was a COVID/ Lockdown thing.

The new 4m Matador would be soooo much more powerful than the original 4m WingSurfer and it would be a good pairing with your 6m.

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
21 Sep 2021 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Cool! Thanks David. Appreciate it.
Looks to be a good wing for upwind & riding swell too.

rgmacca
392 posts
23 Sep 2021 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Cool vid. Mellow. so jealous of those conditions, I get close onshore chop in 15knts.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"First time with my Naish HA1240 foil.. vid." started by DavidJohn