Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Armstrong HA 195

Created by kobo 3 months ago, 3 Feb 2022
kobo
NSW, 848 posts
3 Feb 2022 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

1st run a HA 195 tail. Swell is building down here so I swapped the 212 tail out for the HA195 to see how it went.
Im on 725/50/72/0 shim.Straight away I noticed it doesn't boost you on takeoff at all , which is great for bigger waves and late takeoffs. (stoked on that ) It's fast with no noticeable drag and turns hard at speed nice and solid with no twitches.I'd say the pump is 10-20% better and easier than than other tails. It's more stable than the V tail to pump which definitely makes it easier if you are a little off centre while pumping. Feels really efficient to pump.Only downside I can find is it sings straight out of the box ,so I'll have to review the sanding of the trailing edge videos to fix that.

eppo
WA, 8837 posts
3 Feb 2022 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Found exactly the same in all aspects kobo including the need to sand it. When ya find out let me know !! Like it's a real high pitched squeal that increases with increased speed. Actually disturbing lol.

KB7
NSW, 77 posts
3 Feb 2022 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Don't sand it I have the same issue with 195 HA very high frequency whine so does another friend it's so annoying even with blue tack in my ears. There was a bad batch shipped to Australia and Armstrong have already agreed to replace ours but they want the bad ones back.
I've used mine winging with 1050,1250 and 1125. My previous tail was also the 212. There was no adjustments necessary and easy to ride, would agree it pumps allot better, seems faster. It feels more locked in going fast this was especially noticeable going hard on the wind riding switch foot for me.
Only downside it doesn't turn as well as the 212, anything requiring a short radius such as heal to toe side tack, and a roundhouse cutback. So much so I don't think I will be using it in big waves with the 1050 or even 1250 in good conditions.
It you are using the 232 tail I would cut it down to the 212 first before spending money on the 195HA

kobo
NSW, 848 posts
3 Feb 2022 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

I'm only using it prone atm , and I was on the 212 before.Interesting about the bad batch, might have to check on that cheers.

eppo
WA, 8837 posts
3 Feb 2022 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KB7 said..
Don't sand it I have the same issue with 195 HA very high frequency whine so does another friend it's so annoying even with blue tack in my ears. There was a bad batch shipped to Australia and Armstrong have already agreed to replace ours but they want the bad ones back.
I've used mine winging with 1050,1250 and 1125. My previous tail was also the 212. There was no adjustments necessary and easy to ride, would agree it pumps allot better, seems faster. It feels more locked in going fast this was especially noticeable going hard on the wind riding switch foot for me.
Only downside it doesn't turn as well as the 212, anything requiring a short radius such as heal to toe side tack, and a roundhouse cutback. So much so I don't think I will be using it in big waves with the 1050 or even 1250 in good conditions.
It you are using the 232 tail I would cut it down to the 212 first before spending money on the 195HA

Interesting. All three of the 195HAs I've come across sing like a bird. Will have to follow it up. My son and I have used the 212 for quite a while now - I wouldn't say it's a substitute for the 195 HA. Totally different. A lot slower, doesn't pump nearly as good, much less glide. Turning . maybe. But the 195 I've found allows a much more controlled grippy turn. Prefer it.

so do we get in touch with armstrong ?

kobo
NSW, 848 posts
3 Feb 2022 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Would have to agree with eppo on 195 vs 212. Mine has the trailing edge chamfered but no rounded like the Donaldson edge

KB7
NSW, 77 posts
3 Feb 2022 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

We have gone through the dealer who contacted Armstrong I suggest you do the same. The storey we were given is all the last batch shipped in are bad. (All dealers supplied from same stock) So hence WA and NSW having same issue.

I'm only winging and very used to how the 212 turns at high speed it feels much loser so I can turn tighter. The 195 I just can't push it the same radius it's a more locked turn so a step backwards as far as I'm concerned wave riding. On the 1125 I don't notice so much because it turns much wider anyway.

eppo
WA, 8837 posts
3 Feb 2022 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KB7 said..
We have gone through the dealer who contacted Armstrong I suggest you do the same. The storey we were given is all the last batch shipped in are bad. (All dealers supplied from same stock) So hence WA and NSW having same issue.

I'm only winging and very used to how the 212 turns at high speed it feels much loser so I can turn tighter. The 195 I just can't push it the same radius it's a more locked turn so a step backwards as far as I'm concerned wave riding. On the 1125 I don't notice so much because it turns much wider anyway.

Okay thanks will look into it. Yeh you are right it feels
more locked in. But I prefer that control when carving myself. No unexpected weird stuff. Feels like it responds as youd expect when you want it to. Hey everyone's different. I'd take the extra
Glide, speed and pump with carve controllability any day.

kobo
NSW, 848 posts
11 Feb 2022 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Rounded the trailing edge on 195 from the factory 45 degree and got rid of 95% noise, it only happens intermittently now and hardly noticeable.Just had a session on the 1125 with it, and bloody awesome. More pump ( not that you really need it on 1125) Can lay it over on a hard on rail in a turn and it feels really solid and predictable (stoked with that). At slower speeds it's much easier to initiate the turns with yaw input ,which I really like. This easy yawing also allows for lots of fun flatter quick 180 turns on the fuller part of the wave which was another added bonus. Tails do matter

Supmaori
696 posts
5 May 2022 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys. Have a question ..I mainly use the 300 tail with 1550 front wing for sup foiling - have used the 232 but it feels twitchy and unpredictable. How does the 195 compare to the 300..especially in terms of stability. I'm looking at using the 300 with the foildrive but may want some more speed for unbroken waves and swell without loosing too much stability.
Thanks in advance

kobo
NSW, 848 posts
5 May 2022 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

The 195 will give you speed guaranteed ! but as far as stability goes its the same span to the 232 ,but a much narrower chord , so overall it will feel more twitchy than the 232, but definitely faster.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Armstrong HA 195" started by kobo