Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

Sweet spot front wing - 37" span - ~1150 sq cm

Created by TooMuchEpoxy 24 days ago, 3 May 2022
TooMuchEpoxy
145 posts
3 May 2022 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

It seems like every almost brand has a wing in this size. Lift 170, Hyper 170, RS1150, Takuma has 2 - 1210 and 1095 - I feel like this is an essential step in progression, a place where something still surfs but has the range where you cen get your pump PERFECT, dial in that infinite pump before moving to the micro HA or MA (depending where you want to go) I feel like the BIG super HA wings (RS 1300 - Armie 1125 - whatever million giant axis wings exist) are at a place where they don't really surf and they trick you into thinking you can pump well enough for that next step.

A buddy rides armie and is progressing prone and i was at a loss of what to recomend - the HS stuff is to slow and low aspect and the HA 1125 has too much span and the 925 is too much of a micro HA.

kobo
NSW, 848 posts
4 May 2022 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TooMuchEpoxy said..
It seems like every almost brand has a wing in this size. Lift 170, Hyper 170, RS1150, Takuma has 2 - 1210 and 1095 - I feel like this is an essential step in progression, a place where something still surfs but has the range where you cen get your pump PERFECT, dial in that infinite pump before moving to the micro HA or MA (depending where you want to go) I feel like the BIG super HA wings (RS 1300 - Armie 1125 - whatever million giant axis wings exist) are at a place where they don't really surf and they trick you into thinking you can pump well enough for that next step.

A buddy rides armie and is progressing prone and i was at a loss of what to recomend - the HS stuff is to slow and low aspect and the HA 1125 has too much span and the 925 is too much of a micro HA.

If he's on army tell him to try a KD tail and shims , amazing how much difference they make, but there is also
a place for some slower stall speed HA wings...I'd say that's what will be coming next.

clayisland
18 posts
5 May 2022 1:49AM
Thumbs Up

I would hazard to say a forked progression is one way to progress at both pumping and surfing.

A big HA for pumping back out and let go of trying to rip turns on it, at least for now.
And a mid aspect for learning rail to rail turns and stop wasting energy trying to pump it back out, for now.

TooMuchEpoxy
145 posts
5 May 2022 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
clayisland said..
I would hazard to say a forked progression is one way to progress at both pumping and surfing.

A big HA for pumping back out and let go of trying to rip turns on it, at least for now.
And a mid aspect for learning rail to rail turns and stop wasting energy trying to pump it back out, for now.

I'll add the caveat of regular folks on regular waves. The mid aspect, without being able to pump it, is useless for progrssion. I'm ripping on mine now but when i first got it, before i had the stepping stone to connect my pump skills to it, my wave time dropped so much my progression was negative. Having that middle size to dial what i knew about pumping and wave riding in a platform where i was getting tons of wave time to progress let me make the move to the small mid aspect with momentum.

If you want to progress wave riding i'd say to get on one of those wings in the sweet spot and only consider moving smaller when you can pump out the back and chill out doing circles while you wait for the next set then be prepared to work your ass off for your tripples in exchange for that mid aspect feet.

This idea of a wing you can't pump a double on is nonsense for regular folks in our garbage waves, its a reciepe for moving backward.

radair
80 posts
5 May 2022 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Army 1250 works fine for regular folks doing doubles and triples. Can't pump it? Too slow? Plenty of regular people do just fine.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"Sweet spot front wing - 37" span - ~1150 sq cm" started by TooMuchEpoxy